2010-06-04

OpenOffice 3.2.1 fixes bugs, updates logo - The H Open Source: News and Features

OpenOffice 3.2.1 fixes bugs, updates logo - The H Open Source: News and Features

Of course this is a rather recondite way for me to inform the interested of the latest stable release.... but I also like H-Online. In my own case, I run OOo 3.3 (yes, that's right) on Mac OS X. Latest build courtesy of Nakata-san and Good-Day hosting, is M79. And I then lard the meat with lots of extensions. I confess I love downloading extensions and playing with them---same with my Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome, and look forward, of course, for Safari's adoption of the model.

One thing I'm involved in is the ODF: I'm a member of the two public advocacy TCs there, the Adoption and OIC (interoperability) committees, and strive there to promote ODF among developers. The interesting there is cultivating such a developer cadre: the group so interested would not be quite the same as a classic developer. What's more, it's position within the Foss firmament is shaded, even more so than the usual. But the technology is not difficult and the payoff, especially now, as OOo gains tens of millions of users monthly (we have more than 350M downloads, at the least), there is more of an apparent market.

Indeed, the market for ODF implementations is huge. ODF is a file format, by the way; it cannot really exist as anything useful independent of the implementation which makes it usable and thus useful. OOo is an implementation, and in fact it is the best one.

Others are to a degree based on the OOo technology. But their degree of departure from the basic code does affect their fluid usage of extensions and the like.


No comments:

Post a Comment