2013-09-21

NeoOffice FAQ

NeoOffice FAQ

I was being provocative before, in teasing that NeoOffice is not "free"; I meant it costs money. -- The really interesting thing about NeoOffice on the Apple App Store is that the code is still GPL. Thus, from the FAQ:

Can I copy NeoOffice?Yes. Since NeoOffice is distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL), you can copy it as much as you like and give it to whomever you want.
Since providing user support consumes much of our funds, there are some restrictions on when you can use the NeoOffice trademark. So, if you are selling NeoOffice, you must comply with the NeoOffice CD Distribution and Trademark Usage policy.

I used to be friends with Ed Peterlin, one of the founders of the company, and friendly with Patrick Luby, but my position at Sun complicated matters, as in introducing confusion about who is a who and not a company. I wish them both well--and would try out NeoOffice (this version) if it were not 10 dollars :-) but "free," as in free beer (I mean, of course, the compiled binaries; I can build it meself from the source.)

No comments:

Post a Comment